Updates & Revisions
Here you will find important updates and revisions to the articles and plans published in ShopNotes magazine.
- Rock-Solid Bench Vise Stand
- Page 38: Text under Adding a Rim
- The last sentence in that paragraph should read: "Then trim it flush as you did before."
- Roll-Around Finishing Center
- Page 23: Figure 6a
- The green wire (ground) should go through the conduit connector on the motor. It is currently shown wrapping around from the outside.
- Page 21: Materials & Hardware
- Several corrections to the materials list were discovered after the issue printed. The drawings are correct - only the materials list contained the errors. For reference here are the specific corrections: Part D Switch Panel 6 x 43 - 3/4 MDF ; Part F Caster Plates 6 x 28 - 3/4 MDF ; Part J Top Back Filler Strip 4 1/2 x 40 - 3/4 MDF ; Part K Top Side Filler Strips 4 1/2 x 26 1/2 - 3/4 MDF ; Part L Top Front Filler Strip 4 1/2 x 25 - 3/4 MDF ; (1) 6" dia. Hose Clamp (not 2 as originally printed) ; (25 ft.) 1/2" Flexible Conduit (not (20 ft) as originally printed) ; (1 pr.) Folding Shelf Brackets (not 1 pr. Folding Shelf Brackets w/screws as originally printed. Note: The materials list shows (14) #10 x 5/8" Sheet Metal Screws which are for the shelf brackets.
- Shop Short Cuts
- Page 24: Photo of spiral downcut bit
- The photograph in the left margin is distorted. The image has been flipped or mirrored so that it fits in the layout.
- Classic Sawhorses
- Page 31: Figure 6
- The four parts in the Side View should be labeled. The two on the left are "A" and the two on the right are "B."
- Page 28: Open Mortise Layout illustration
- The layout for the four mortises/notches appears to be deeper than necessary. The actual measurement listed in Figure 1 is correct and will result in cuts of the correct depth.
- Page 27: Cutting diagram and exploded view
- Three corrections needed: (1) The 12” board in the cutting diagram should be labeled as 8” and 3.3 Bd Ft. and there should be a small amount of waste at the bottom. (2) The two part (D) shown on that same board, should come down closer to the bottom edge and be longer. Basically, parts (C) and (D) should fill the length of the board. (3) In the Exploded View on page 27, the grain direction for the braces should run 90° to what is shown. Grain runs side to side, not top to bottom.