Updates & Revisions
Here you will find important updates and revisions to the articles and plans published in ShopNotes magazine.
- Dovetailed Shoulder Plane
- Page 33: Materials & Hardware
- If a 1" Brass Lamp Shade Riser cannot be found or is not available, you can instead use a section of 1/2"-dia. brass rod then drill and tap it for the threaded rod. Then turn it to shape on the drill press as explained in the article on page 37.
- Sliding Carriage Panel Saw
- Page 21: Figure 5b
- Three corrections: (1) The two holes used to fasten the Lock to the Carriage at the upper right have the correct spacing, but we need to add a 7/8” dimension to locate them from the top edge of the Lock. (2) The 45° callout and associated arrows should not be on the illustration. (3) The dimension of 2-7/8" along the left edge should be 3".
- Page 15: Shop Short Cut
- Clarification: In the "Shop Short Cut" on page 15 of this issue, we did not specify a depth for the recess in the saw base. For most saws, 1/4" should be fine. But if the saw has raised edges at the front and back end, the recess may need to be deeper.
- Page 21: Materials list
- Two corrections: (1) Item E (horizontal grid rails) should be a quantity of 4. (2) The list calls for a 5/16" Cam lever with washer, but it should be a 1/4" Cam lever with washer.
- Page 24: Figure 8
- The two lag screws that are used to attach the patio door roller and cable at the upper right of the saw guide were not located vertically. The first one starts 1/2" down from the top edge and they are space 1-1/2" apart.
- Page 21: Figure 5, detail a
- Figure 5a is missing a dimension. Please note that the distance from the lower left corner of the lock to the edge of where the waste ends is 1", i.e. it's a 1/4" in from where we show the 1-1/4" to the centerline of the hole.
- Page 51: Panel Saw sources
- The SKU for the Starrett tape is incorrect. The correct SKU for the left-to-right tape is 273740.
- Shop Short Cuts
- Page 15: Text
- Clarification: We did not specify a depth for the recess in the saw base. For most saws, 1/4" should be fine. But if the saw has raised edges at the front and back end, the recess may need to be deeper.
- Hearing Protection
- Page 51: Headphones source
- Web site of noise cancellation headphones should be: www.protechcommunications.com. notice the "s" at the end. Not listed was the website for the headphones: www.noisebuster.net.